[NSRCA-discussion] How High Can Drones Fly

Ihncheol Park pnahobbies at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 11 09:21:39 AKST 2015

It is actually a lot higher & farther than that.

I am working on a project with a customer who has permit from FAA & state of Missiouri for commercial drone.
The project is for survey purpose with FPV & GPS on a single rotor gasoline heli.
The requirements that we have are.
flying at least 2 hours with up to of 5 miles distance, return home function and a few other failsafe functions.

Longest distance that I found done so far was 7km (4.375 miles) on normal 2.4Ghz RC transmitter without modifications to the transmitter or receiver.  All other gears are 5.8Ghz high output.

there are lots of old videos using DJI Phantom series on Youtube showing the distance and altitude.
They are all now illegal if done without permit.

Whenever I sell those quad about the size of 300 (motor to motor distance) or larger, I tell those people not to fly higher than 400 feet in an open area that the aircraft stay visible.

Ihncheol