[NSRCA-discussion] UAS registration

Keith Hoard klhoard at outlook.com
Tue Dec 22 09:21:26 AKST 2015

I vote Scott for AMA President.

He can write a lot of big words.

--Keith Hoard
--klhoard at outlook.com

From: Scott McHarg via NSRCA-discussion<mailto:nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:12
To: Jeff and Claire<mailto:jeffclaire at cableone.net>; General pattern discussion<mailto:nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] UAS registration

I find it really interesting that a lot of us have no problem complaining
but when a thought about putting together a logical, well-founded paper
written to either the AMA or the FAA is presented, no one comments.

Here's the truth if you really think about it:

This rule. which contradicts a law. was made by the FAA due to public
pressure.  Public pressure is out there because there are a lot of rogue
operators of multi-rotor, autonomous vehicles flying in places that they
should not be flying such as over stadiums or densely populated areas or
into sky scrapers or in TFR areas.  It is impossible to catch these
people.  They are putting this out there in hopes of tracking down these
offenders when the vehicle crashes and hurts people or property.  Do you
honestly and truly believe that FAA officials are going to be driving
around and going to AMA fields looking for folks flying at 600 ft above an
AMA site or checking to see if you have your ID in there?  If you do, I
think you're sadly mistaken.

The truth is, one of four things is going to happen:

1.)  The AMA and associated parties are going to have the courts uphold the
Modernization Law of 2012 which effectively protects our ability to fly as
we always have and eliminate the hold that the FAA has on us.

2.)  The AMA will compromise with the FAA and allow our AMA numbers and
names to be on our aircraft and the FAA will accept that database into
theirs and that will be sufficient for registration.  ( By the way, even if
they do get this done, you will still be bound to the guidelines which are
already in AMA's Safety Guidelines and your information will still be
publicly searchable).  Do I know how they will legally bind us to that, no,
but guaranteed they will try.  Understand that if you go to court over
this, you will go broke fighting it even if you're in the right.  Look at
what it took to get Bob Hoover his license back because one FAA official
was unhappy with him.

3.)  You will still be required to comply with the FAA registration process
in February because, if you don't and you get caught, you face a lot of
fines that could buy some nice planes instead and the FAA will be looking
to make a statement out of somebody.

4.)  You can sell all of your stuff and do another hobby because you won't
to agree to some guidelines.  When you sign contracts and agree to
indemnify a company against any and all litigation, do you refuse those as
well?  If you have a cell phone, you did not.

I refuse to fly in fear of an agency that doesn't even have the manpower to
do ramp checks much less drive around and find AMA sanctioned model
airplane fields to make sure everyone has their registration number.  Rules
are already out there that says we will not fly within a few miles of an
airport but yet, AMA fields exist within these boundaries and no one can
tell me that these fields notify the airport that we are about to go flying
every time.  NOTAMS are not posted about these model airplane fields and
yet the FAA isn't coming after us.  Wait and see what the AMA comes up
with.  My guess is, it won't be much because in reality, we aren't the
problem.  The rogue operators that do what they aren't supposed to and
crash into things and fly into forest fires to get video are the problem
and they are the ones they're after (read the pdf's introducing this rule
and look at the cases that are cited).  I'm not saying I agree with the
steps the FAA is taking as it is obviously flawed in many ways.  What I am
saying is I think that some are up in arms about this and are letting it
ruin the hobby.  If it is that big of a deal to you, help write the paper
on the why's and why not's of this rule and let's try to make a difference.

As far as someone stealing your registration number, which is a true
concern, I have decided to sign my paper that will go inside each of my
planes in a certain color and with a certain color highlighter that is on
the back side and cannot be seen unless removed as well as write the name
of the model it's in.  If someone steals my number, they would also have to
forge my signature and know the color of the pen and highlighter and I will
be able to prove this is what I do for every one of my aircraft.  If I sell
an aircraft, I will remove and destroy that paper.

*Scott A. McHarg*
VSCL / CANVASS U.A.S. Research Pilot
Texas A&M University
PPL - ASEL

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Jeff and Claire via NSRCA-discussion <