[NSRCA-discussion] FAA Registration begins December 21

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 10:44:04 AKST 2015

In looking over all the pertinent FAA documents a few things became
apparent.

1) The FAA is not clear on the definitions of Model Aircraft, sUAS, UAV
and drones. In places they intermix them even in the same sentence.
Other places there is an attempt to distinguish between them.

Solution:
Set back down with the user groups and get clean definitions for each of
these, then insert the definitions in each of their documents and get
the right definitions in place so their intent is clear.

2) The FAA is concerned with use and misuse of the NAS. They are not
concerned with terrorism.

3) The FAA is attempted to control all hobbyist unmanned aircraft by
size alone. It should assess by capabilites. Right now controlline and
dethermalized freeflight should be registered if they meet the weight
requirement. The 55 pounds seems to be arbitrary and lifted from the AMA
where it was also arbitrary.

Solution:
Keep the weights if desired although I see both 250 grams and 55 pounds
in documentation. need some consistency in units here. The 250 should go
up to 500 grams so most park flyers would be exempt. The main change is
to separate out UAVs by control system

Category 1(definition of model aircraft):
All controlline and freeflight UAVs with only dethermalizer control,
Radio-controlled UAV without autoflight functions or FPV. Stability
functions are OK. Upper weight limit is 55 pounds.

Category 2:(definitions of basic sUAS)
UAVs with basic autopilot capability. Can fly heading hold or select,
altitude hold or select, auto-speed control etc. no FPV. Also includes
category 1 over 55 pounds

Category 3(definition of where the problem is-sUAS)
UAVs with full autoflight including return to home. Can have the ability
to fly a pre-programmed route to a remote point and return. Can have FPV.

Category one would not seem to need a registration of any kind. They are
only flown by skilled hobbyists within short line of sight( except for
freeflight).
Category two is not really a problem to the outside world but pilot
registration would not be a big deal
Category three is where we find UAVs flying in the NAS and causing
heartburn for the FAA. Registration required. As far as I'm concerned,
make it by UAV and pilot.

As I said at the top, the FAA is not an anti-terrorist organization.
Just wait until Homeland Security gets involved. That is why it is so
important to get these categories separated. Some of the larger multis
_can_ carry quite a payload.....

John