[NSRCA-discussion] FAA Registration begins December 21

Scott McHarg scmcharg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:19:06 AKST 2015

Sure but you do realize the compliance dates, right?

December 21, 2015 • Any small unmanned aircraft to be used exclusively as
model aircraft that have never been operated. • Small unmanned aircraft to
be used in authorized operations as other than model aircraft continue to
use part 47 registration process.

 February 19, 2016 • Small unmanned aircraft to be used exclusively as
model aircraft and have been operated by their owner prior to December 21,
2015.

March 31, 2016 • Small unmanned aircraft to be used in authorized
operations other than as model aircraft continue to use part 47
registration process or use part 48 process. § 48.5

Essentially, they're saying if it has never flown prior to Dec. 21, it has
to be registered prior to flying it.  How exactly are they going to
pre-register models with zero time frame not to mention all those recently
sold for the holidays?

*Scott A. McHarg*
VSCL / CANVASS U.A.S. Research Pilot
Texas A&M University