[NSRCA-discussion] Reversed ailerons bike analogy

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 23:57:12 AKDT 2015

Here's why.  You don't actually steer a bike by turning the handlebars (for the most part) but rather by leaning in a particular direction with a very slight deflection of the front wheel to reduce skidding.  If you cross your arms you may pull with the correct arm but your lean will be to the wrong direction which *always* results in a fall.  Try it sometime on a regular bike.  Turn right but lean left, you'llBe down in less than a second.  Unless/until you can train yourself to lean opposite you will fall on that bike.
ATV's actually handle better if you lean to the outside of a turn, I wonder if an avid ATV rider would have an easier time on it.
Peter+

Sent from Outlook

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 3:38 PM -0700, "Keith Black via NSRCA-discussion" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org> wrote:

Ron, one of the guys on the video tried crossing their arms to ride it and it didn't help.
Keith