[NSRCA-discussion] FW: Resistance and retirement

Michael Cohen precisionaero at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:08:11 AKST 2014

Ooops, I actual meant to send this e-mail to the group!
Mike C

From: precisionaero at hotmail.com
To: vincebrc at gmail.com
Subject: RE: [NSRCA-discussion] Resistance and retirement
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:07:30 -0700

The issue I am having is with some packs I use for an EDF. Under the "load" of takeoff, two of the three packs I use noticeably sag.  I took off after the sag the first time and was able to make it around  for a landing, but I don't think I took a breath the whole time.  I topped off the packs and ran them on the ground and could hear the sag then too.  I did not hook up my watt meter in line because the watt meter has Deans connectors and the EDF has 5.5mm bullets.  I did cycle both packs on the chargers and they had about 3 to 4 mOhm resistance on 5 of the 6 cells with one pack having a 6 mOhm resistance and the other 12.5 mOhm resistance on an individual cell.  I guess I am surprised the higher resistance on one particular cell could cause a problem, but I know the EDF systems hit the batteries really hard.  Any thoughts on why I am seeing an issue?  Is it related to the higher resistance?  Is there some device out there that tests individual cells under a discharge load?
Mike C