[NSRCA-discussion] Sacramento Area Modelers May 17 Contest - 1 Day

atwooddon at aol.com atwooddon at aol.com
Mon May 5 12:28:23 AKDT 2014

The SAM club in Sacramento is hosting our 3rd annual One Day 'Simple' Contest on May 17.  If you have attended in the past you know the goal of this contest is to keep things simple, start flying by 8AM and complete 4 rounds of pattern by approx 2PM.  The sun is a problem in the left end of the box this time of year so we push hard to keep everything moving.  Please pre-register via the NSRCA site or just drop me an email at atwooddon at aol.com if you plan to attend,   This will help us get flight orders and judging panels set up prior to Saturday morning to save time.

To accomplish this start on time, everyone needs to be ready to go, judges in their chairs, sharp pencils or game controllers at the ready at 8AM.  One thing that is new this year for this contest is the use of Peter Vogel's scoring system. If you haven't heard of it or used it, basically, it uses a game type controller wirelessly linked to a central computer to record scores instead of writing them on a score sheet to be entered later.  Because of this, we would like to have a quick pilot's meeting at 7:45AM to let Peter brief those that haven't used the system in how it works, etc.

As in previous years, there will be no test/practice flying before the contest.  You all know how hard it is to get people down and ready from those 'quick' test flights     If you have a problem with this, see the CD.  He will probably not be very understanding tho and refer you to his trusty Co-CD Quido Davies for a more personal explanation of why you are not going to fly before the contest   ;-)  The field will be open on Friday for those that want to come early and practice.

As an added attraction, anyone attending the contest is welcome to join us Friday night at the Rancho Cordova Event Center at 7-9PM for an evening of indoor pattern.  Several of us have been using this facility for the past 4-5 months to try our hand at F3P indoor pattern.  We are having a ball and believe us, it is a lot harder than it looks, even with the super slow F3P pattern planes.  So, join us, bring an indoor plane or just come to watch.  Be advised, you might get hooked.  I'm just sayin'....

We will have Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, Masters and FAI P15 classes.  Anyone flying the MP-15 class will fly/scored with the P-15 contestants but the MP-15 placing will be selected from the highest placing MP-15 contestants overall.

Entry fee is $25 for all classes except Sportsman which will be $10.  Current AMA membership is required.

Rumor has it there will be lunch available for a reasonable donation, will keep everyone posted on any changes to the lunch availability.

Hope to see you at SAM on the 17th.

Don