[NSRCA-discussion] Painting Foam

George Kennie geobet4evr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:52:24 AKDT 2014

Robert,
To further elaborate on Michael's suggestion, I also use the posterboard
method. Considering the time spent sticking down tape, for me that time is
equally well spent drawing out my design on the board and cutting a
stencil. The benefit of utilizing this approach is that the symmetry of the
layout is assured, as when one panel is sprayed the board can then be
flipped over onto the adjacent panel and once positioned accurately the
layout will reproduce exactly. I use Lowe's Valspar spray paints and it is
wise to hold the can about 14" above the work when spraying to avoid too
much air pressure from lifting the stencil and getting overspray under it's
edges. Sometimes I will common pin the stencil down to avoid the overspray
problem. I have a friend who dusts the stencil with a light application of
C-77 and lightly tacks the stencil down. He gets fantastic results. The
posterboard stencil technique opens up additional avenues of artistic
endeavor by making sharply curved designs a simple operation whereas taping
some of your dreams would become nightmares. Of course, I sure that you
realize that the spray application be allowed to thoroughly dry before
flipping the stencil to avoid any unintentional imprinting.
Hope this helps
Georgie