[NSRCA-discussion] Pattern Primer

Hnycmpsts hnycmpsts at aol.com
Sat Feb 22 18:03:31 AKST 2014

I'm a pattern flyer at heart. It's in my blood. But I've also been flying IMAC for the past 7 years.
Our group down here in south Florida recently organized a "Judging Seminar". The idea behind this is the following;
On Saturday (full day, we start at 8AM and finish at 5PM), we go over the basics (not any specific sequences or patterns), just the basics from a judges point of view. In other words, what the judges are looking for in a flight. We go over lines, radii, rolls, rolls on lines, snaps, spins..... You get the idea. Then we combine each of these basic principles and look at them in the form of maneuvers.
IMAC has developed a judging guide, and it's sold to each participant at the beginning of the class on Saturday.

Then on Sunday, one or two pilots volunteer to fly what we discussed on Saturday.

We've been doing this type of seminars every year for the past several years, with different clubs hosting the event each year.

It's really a great event and we learn a lot.

In your case, since you're going to run a Sportsman only contest, you could focus the theory part on the Sportsman pattern. But going over the basics is a must.

Oscar