[NSRCA-discussion] LIPOs on board?

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 12:15:06 AKST 2014

This article appeared in the Albuquerque Journal this morning. I was not
aware that large shipments of lithium batteries could still be just
under my seat on my next flight. We all know what havoc a single 10S
pack can do if it catches fire. I find it hard to believe that an
airliner could survive a palletfull going up. It's no surprise that the
fire suppressant they used had no effect.
There is a proposed rule going into effect the first of the year that is
supposed to eliminate commercial shipments from passenger airliners- if
it isn't blocked or postponed. I wonder what the checkin counter
response would be to a question of whether there is a shipment of lipos
on board? Think they could even find out that information?

John Gayer

    Shipments of lithium-ion units raise concerns over fires, blasts

WASHINGTON --- Dramatic U.S. government test results raise new concern
that bulk shipments of rechargeable lithium batteries carried as cargo
on passenger planes are susceptible to fires or explosions that could
destroy the airliners.

/This video frame grab shows a test of a cargo container packed with
5,000 lithium-ion batteries and a cartrid/This video frame grab shows a
test of a cargo container packed with 5,000 lithium-ion batteries and a
cartridge heater that resulted in a fire and explosion.

Yet U.S. and international officials have been slow to adopt safety
restrictions that might affect the powerful industries that depend on
the batteries and the airlines that profit from shipping them. The
batteries are used in products ranging from cellphones and laptops to
hybrid cars.

Shipments of rechargeable batteries on passenger planes are supposed to
be limited to no more than a handful in a single box, under safety
standards set by the U.N.'s International Civil Aviation Organization
and adopted by the U.S. and other nations. But a loophole permits
shippers to pack many small boxes into one shipment and get around the
rules. Tens of thousands of the batteries may be packed into pallets or
containers and loaded into the cargo holds of wide-body passenger planes.

In an April test by the Federal Aviation Administration, a cargo
container was packed with 5,000 lithium-ion batteries and a cartridge
heater added to simulate a single battery experiencing uncontrolled
overheating. The heat from the cartridge triggered escalating
overheating in nearby batteries, which spread in a chain reaction.
Temperatures reached about 1,100 degrees.

Once about 300 batteries had become involved, a fierce explosion blew
open the container door and sent boxes flying, catching FAA and industry
observers by surprise. Within seconds, the cargo container was in
flames. The explosion came from a buildup of flammable gases. A second
test in September produced similar results, despite the addition of a
fire suppression agent.

The U.N.'s civil aviation agency is considering a series of proposals to
strengthen packaging, labeling and handling standards for lithium-ion
battery shipments, and airline pilot unions are pushing for limits on
the number of batteries that can be transported.