[NSRCA-discussion] Axiome 70 EP control surface throws

Robert Harden rharden1 at cox.net
Sat Aug 23 18:44:15 AKDT 2014

I have just started building my Axiome 70 EP airplane and have the rudder
and elevators installed. Noted here is that as installed there is little
hinge gap. The plans call for High Rate throws of 40 degrees each direction
in the Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons.  My problem is that as installed, the
maximum throw I can achieve in the elevator is Up at 20 degrees and Down at
25 degrees because the beveled edges are not very deep and they bottom out
limiting the travel. The hinges are thin CA in place already.  The only
solution I can see now is that I will have to cut into the elevators and
increase the beveled edges to allow more throw. The Rudder has the same
problem. The ailerons are not installed yet so I will be able to work those
when I get to them. Has anyone building the Axiome 70 EP experienced this
problem and if so, what have you done?  Those that are already flying the
Axiome 70 EP, what throws are you using in your setups?