[NSRCA-discussion] 2015 proposed sequences

John Ford jsf106 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:36:31 AKDT 2014

To my knowledge, I don't think I've heard too many (or any) pilots quit pattern because it was too hard to do, or too expensive, or anything else.
IMAC and helicopters are at least as expensive, if not more, and the classes' difficulty levels mirror our own, in my opinion.

What makes the difference is marketing. IMAC and helis are always high profile at any event, the promoters do a good job of "selling" the pilots and the equipment. Hobby shops always showcase the latest or the biggest. The magazine adds almost always choose IMAC or helis to promote radios, batteries, or fuels.

Back when Pattern was big and local contests had 40 pilots, the cover of the magazines featured Hanno, Ivan, or Rhet, and the full-page glossy back cover was of Ivan and his Summit 3, endorsing Carl Golberg widgets.

Today, if you walk in off the street as a rank beginner and you try to "find" pattern, you gotta dig deep, go far, send lots of emails, and finally you might (never for sure) come across a contest flyer. Then you go to the contest and you find a bunch of really nice people, willing to drown you in advice and help, but you realize pretty quickly that this group of people are a bit off-center…sharply focused on planes, endless trimming, practicing to the exclusion of all else, and sleeping on a bed of nails at night. Above all, almost nobody knows they even exist in this little hidden world of RC idealism.

Go to a hobby shop and say you want to do helicopters…same reaction as walking into a ER saying you have chest pains.
Go to a hobby shop and say you want to do pattern…hmmm…"well, there's a guy I used to know that did some of that, I think, not sure if he's still around…haven't seen him for a few years"...

That's where the difference is.

John