[NSRCA-discussion] TOC 1988

John Fuqua johnfuqua at embarqmail.com
Fri Aug 8 10:14:54 AKDT 2014

I was there for my first TOC.   Doc Edwards was the Chief Judge.   He invited me to come a help out as the Assistant to the Chief Judge.    What you see is the old north Las Vegas flying field.   I think that was the last TOC held at that field as the city of North Las Vegas took it back to develop.   Caused Bill Bennett to build a new field out by the UNLV football stadium.

Steve Rojecki had been assigned to Eglin AFB (where I was assigned) when he won the TOC and between 86 and 88 he was reassigned to Nellis AFB to fly F-5 aggressors.    My wife and I stayed with them at their home for this TOC.    I remember vividly his last flight.    The wind was blowing HARD and it was a 90 degree cross wind.   On takeoff he hit his prop on the runway and sheared off 50% of the blade area.   He got it off and immediately landed.   Should have heard that Tartan Twin scream.

I went to every TOC after that.    Met great people who became friends.   Dick Penrod who was the line chief at every TOC sends me these tidbits.    Great memories.