[NSRCA-discussion] Bakersfield Bash scores are on the NSRCA website...

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 06:48:39 AKDT 2014

When we were developing the Judge Ranking Program (Geez, that's over 12 years ago!!), we played some bit with normalization of existing raw Contestant scores against average. In essence, the top scores were normalized to something greater than 1000 points. The issue with normalizing against average goes both ways, considering truncated flights which drop averages. In rounds where flights were cut short, top scores were abnormally improved. That's not the desired result.

In the end there was no value added to Judge Ranking so we dropped it....

BUT, if memory serves, we ended up normalizing Judge scores to the average of all Judges per round. This was the better compromise solution for Judge Rank.

Normalization against Max is another way of presenting the raw score. ALL scores will be less than 1000 normalized points. The disparity between the best score and the next best decreases. In the end, the best flights, fairly judged, will win in either scenario.

MattK