[NSRCA-discussion] LI-IO packs

joddino at socal.rr.com joddino at socal.rr.com
Thu Oct 31 11:21:12 AKDT 2013

---- Daniel Dupont <dansy44 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So Jim if I understand correctly Lithium-ion cells are basically cheap
> Lipo¹s?
>
> Hum I always believed they were a slightly different technologyŠ.
>
> Daniel on MacBook Pro
>

> On 10/31/2013, 1:46 PM, "joddino at socal.rr.com" <joddino at socal.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

> >---- Scott McHarg <scmcharg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Morning y'all,
> >>
> >> I've spoken to a few people about charging Lithium Ion packs but we did
> >>not
> >> arrive at a definitive answer.  I need to understand what the best
> >>solution
> >> (besides buying another charger) is for my situation.
> >>
> >> I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the Cellpro 10XP.  Usually,
> >> it's me giving the help but I'm not sure what to do here.  Here's the
> >> scenario:
> >>
> >>  Cellpro 10XP Multi-Chemistry Charger.  The User Manual and everything
> >> about the charger says that it can charge the ION packs.  So, I go to
> >> program a preset for this but in the software, there is nothing that
> >>says
> >> anything about ION packs.  There is LiPo, Pb, A123, Ni-Cd, and Nickel
> >> Metal.  I have some ION 7.4V 5200mah packs that I need to charge and a
> >> 2600mah pack for the ignition on a 42% Edge 540.  The packs are made of
> >>4
> >> cells but are wired so that they are only 2 (2 in series, 2 in parallel)
> >> cells.  As close as I can tell, I should select the LiPo 2sU (2 cell
> >> unbalanced) but I don't want to make a mistake.  Someone told me that
> >>would
> >> be OK and another said that if you program the charger by the charger
> >> instead of the software, there is an ION setting but I haven't confirmed
> >> that yet as it was late last night when I was checking.
> >>
> >> Anyone have any idea what to do to charge these packs?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> *Scott A. McHarg*
> >> Sr. Systems Engineer - Infrastructure
> >
> >If they are lithium-ion cells they should be charged to 4.2 volts per
> >cell or 8.4 volts for a 2s pack.  Lithium polymer cells are lithium ion
> >and are charged the same.  My Cellpro charger charges to 4.204 volts per
> >cell when set for LiPo packs and that is what should be used for Lithium
> >ion.  The Lithium ion cells generally have higher internal resistance and
> >therefore can not be discharged or charged at high rates.  I use one C
> >max.
> >
> >Jim O

The first Li-Ion cells used in the RC industry were packaged in metal cylindrical cans similar to NiCds.  Then the packs packaged in flexible plastic sacks arrived for use in powering motors.  These came to be referred to as LiPo packs but basically used the same chemistry but also had the advantage of having low internal resistance.  Since those early days many other chemistries with different fully charged voltages have arrived and many charger suppliers have tried to cover them as well.  The voltages printed on the packs are typically a nominal voltage and might be 7.2, 7;4 or 7.6 volts even though the full charge voltage is 8.4.  I suspect the cells referred to here have the metal cans and that is why they are described as Li-Ion.  Hope this helps.

Jim O