[NSRCA-discussion] Battery discharge/storage question

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 08:15:44 AKDT 2013

I have had to abort a couple of planned flying sessions so far this spring due to weather.  I have read that lipos should not be left at full charge for any significant length of time. So what is a significant length of time?

Hours?  Days? Weeks?

My Turnigy 10XS charger has a discharge/storage mode, but the maximum discharge current is 1 amp. It takes a couple of hours to bring a 10S pack down to storage level, and the charger gets pretty warm(!) during the discharge.  Up to now I have only worried about discharging the pack for long term storage.

If leaving the cells fully charged for more than a day or so is bad, I am considering building a dedicated discharger, there are some pretty simple yet effective designs on RCU.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com