[NSRCA-discussion] What a difference a year makes

Bill's Email silentav8r at cox.net
Wed Mar 20 12:52:29 AKDT 2013

On 3/20/13 1:46 PM, Larry Diamond wrote:
> Nice...
> Food for thought... I wonder how many years of pollution by
> industrialized nations is equal to one St. Helens blast/eruption?
> An interesting thought against global warming... Studying Earth's
> History now... LOL... Since the Earth was formed 4.6 billion years
> ago, ALL DATA Points to Earth Cooling as a trend... Just saying...

Good question. Perhaps these will help:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-do-volcanoes-affect-w

 From that article:
" There is no doubt that volcanic eruptions add CO_2 to the atmosphere,
but compared to the quantity produced by human activities, their impact
is virtually trivial: volcanic eruptions produce about 110 million tons
of CO_2 each year, whereas human activities contribute almost 10,000
times that quantity."

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php
 From that article:
"
While sulfur dioxide released in contemporary volcanic eruptions has
occasionally caused detectable global cooling of the lower
atmosphere,*the carbon dioxide released in contemporary volcanic
eruptions has never caused detectable global warming of the atmosphere*.
This is probably because the amounts of carbon dioxide released in
contemporary volcanism have not been of sufficient magnitude to produce
detectable global warming."

The examples go on for a long time, but I think you get the point.