[NSRCA-discussion] CIAM Meeting Representation

Bill's Email silentav8r at cox.net
Wed Mar 13 07:32:25 AKDT 2013

On 3/13/13 8:10 AM, Jon Lowe wrote:
> Well, not really.  FAI only recognizes a single entity per country for
> model aviation, and that entity is the AMA in the US, thru NAA.
> Remember that the FAI not only covers modeling activities, but also
> full scale and NAA is the entity for both in the US.  The amount each
> country sends FAI for modeling activities is based on total
> membership, not just the number that participate in FAI events.  The
> amount AMA has to send FAI each year is huge (I'm working on getting
> exact figures), and last I heard we were the single largest fund
> source for modeling activities. We still get only one vote at the table.
 From the minutes of the October 2001 EC Meeting:

" AMA's relationship with the NAA is much more than just FAI and
completely severing ties with the NAA could be detrimental to AMA when
trying to generate partnerships and grants with other organizations. The
FAI program accounts for approximately ½ of the cost of NAA
participation; the NAA participation fee will increase in 2012 (to
approximately 56k)."

They looked at 3 options:

" *Option 1-*Maintain the programs as they are in terms of direct
support for the teams, but reduce the number of attendees at CIAM
meeting to two, funded people. Estimated yearly cost for entire FAI
program-117k.

*Option 2-*Major cutback, no more funding for Team Managers, Asst. Team
Managers or helpers. No further hosting of WC in the USA. Reduce total
allowance for each competitor for Entry fee/Hotel/Food/Travel to $1,000
(average now is $1,700); plus the above reduction for meetings.
Estimated yearly cost-72k.

*Option 3-*Exit the entire program. This would be a two year process,
continuing current funding (with reductions as reasonable) for 2012 and
2013, ending NAA affiliation after 2013, and no longer offering the
opportunity to compete on a USA team to an AMA member. Estimated cost
per year after 2013-$0.

Then this was in the July 2012 EC meeting minutes:

" *FAI Blue Book*
The 'Blue Book' is the program with which the FAI program is run. The
committee went through the book and made cuts to reduce FAI expenses (as
charged by Council).

C. Pierce reviewed changes that were made. She noted one of the biggest
changes is the requirement to encourage more participation in the
programs in order to receive funding. In the past couple of years,
funding has been cut to U.S. representation at the CIAM meetings. HQ is
taking more responsibility with the team selection committee to ensure
that their programs are run in a manner acceptable to the FAI Executive
Committee. Each sub-category in a discipline (for example: F1A under
Free Flight) will be responsible for maintaining the required
participation to maintain funding.

In the past AMA has paid for each team member's entry fee, banquet,
hotel, and provided each team member $400 for other expenses such as
travel. The revision proposes a flat fee of $1,000 per team member. If
every team were to qualify under the new requirement and send a full
team the most the expense would be is $98k per two-year cycle. Funding
is based on both performance AND participation.

Discussion included the bar has been raised a little in the performance
criteria but AMA is more strict in the participation criteria; those
teams that mostly always qualify for funding based on their performance
will now be required to maintain a level of participation to retain
funding; it was noted that Mechanics are funded by AMA only when one is
required by the FAI rulebook; the FAI continues to add WC events without
sun-setting others and this will dramatically impact (negatively) what
AMA can fund in the future;  cuts were not made to the Junior Programs;
and there is a provision for sunset teams (F4C for example) which allows
for re-instatement and for a new program to be created.

The revisions represent a significant 50% reduction to the FAI budget
and Council members should be prepared to respond to participating
members questions on these cuts. The revised program affects
participants starting with those trying for the 2014 World Championship
teams; commitments have already been made to those teams competing in
2013 that had team selection programs in 2011.

When the President meets with the FAI President in August, one point for
discussion will be the opinion that the fees AMA (the U.S.) pays to the
FAI are disproportionate to the services it receives."