[NSRCA-discussion] Cutting 3/16 carbon fibre rod

Larry Diamond ldiamond at diamondrc.com
Fri Jul 12 13:33:39 AKDT 2013

I would say it depends on the equipment you have available.

Highly recommend Tungsten Carbide grit blade for either a scroll saw or a band saw. It cost me about $100 for my bandsaw, but it cuts everything and has lasted about 5 years.

Do not use anything that would crush it like wire cutters.

It is likely that using a regular saw blade my fray some strands and weaken the rods.

I'm willing to bet a number of folks probably use a fine tooth saw blade and haven't had problems. However, the best solution is the Tungsten Carbide type.

Here is an example...

http://www.tungstencarbidegritedge.com/product/1-x-tungsten-grit-edge-scroll-reciprocating-saw-blade.php

Lowes and Home Depot probably carry them now...