[NSRCA-discussion] Raffle & Paypal

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 6 09:02:31 AKST 2013

Lottery

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org]On Behalf Of Ronald Van
Putte
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2013 6:07 AM
To: General pattern discussion
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Raffle & Paypal

Gee, doesn't that sound just like the Gubbermint?  You can do it if you call
it something else.

Ron

On Jan 5, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Bill's Email wrote:

> On 1/5/13 9:02 PM, Derek Koopowitz wrote:
>> This happened to the NSRCA account several years ago... Paypal's terms of
service expressly forbid raffles.

> In fact, the IRS takes a dim view of them as well. My wife used to work in
the fundraising office at the hospital where she works and they got sideways
with the Gubbermint about "raffles". They can hold them now, but they must
call them "opportunity drawings" and give a free ticket to anyone who
requests one. Nobody ever does and they do not advertise that option, but
those are the rules. Rule #1 is do not use the "R" Word.