[NSRCA-discussion] Geographically challenged

George Kennie geobet4evr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 10:15:07 AKST 2013

The same to you Jim,
Wow, that weight sounds fantastic. My fuses usully come out around four
pounds. I wish you'd
do a build article for the K-Factor. I'd love to see the methodology.
Vacuum bagged I assume.
Sounds terrific !
We've been having temps in the hi 30's right along, but we got really
whacked this A.M. (7.8)

I've been fiddling with a Foamy that has a 72" fuse and I'm up to paint,
but the cold weather has
kinda put a damper on forward progress at this point.
Oh, speaking of paint, I saw a blurb somewhere about foam compatible paint.
The gist was that
Lowe's had a version of their Valspar line that supposedly worked, so I
decided to check it out.
When I picked up the can at the store and decided to look at the label for
any ingredients that
might be disastrous to foam, I discovered Acetone,Butyl Acetate,
Ethylene Glycol,Monopropyl Ether,
and Isobutyl Acetate.Now I don't have a clue what any of this stuff is (
beyond Acetone), but it
sounded like the Monster from some dark place just waiting for it's next
bowl of foam, so I decided
that I would only buy one can and give it a test. Some of the foams that I
use have a very thin layer
of something like Mylar on their surfaces which gives some protective
resistance to hostile comp-
ounds so when I test, I spray on the edge of the sheet and pile the paint
on thickly.To my surprise
there appeared to be no immediate reaction so I returned periodically to
check for any signs of
degradation and found none. Back to the store I go to acquire the
additional required colors and I
have to tell you that, from my experience so far with this paint, I will
probably refrain from buying
the PPG stuff I used to use when I was Glow. The stuff goes on like glass
with absolutely no ten-
dency to run and the gloss exceeds the gloss of Monokote. The can is what
seems like 5 times the
quantity of what is in those midgit cans of Testors Model Master that I was
previously using.
Just thought there might be some who might be interested.
Sorry for the ramblings and sorry if my previous post offended anyone. I
love you guys !

Georgie