[NSRCA-discussion] Servo speed (slower on purpose?)

Stuart Chale schale1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 28 04:04:46 AKST 2013

Ok this one seems strange to me.  So I thought I would ask it here. I
have been reading some of the threads on RCU, especially the ones on the
BJ Craft Nuance and Episode as I have an Episode coming (Thanks Chris).
Several times it has been mentioned the recommendation for a slower
rudder servo speed, especially if you prefer an aft CG.  Now that just
seems counter intuitive.  Maybe we should dig out our old KPS 15's.
Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Now for a situation with the same subject that I really thought was
quite amusing (up to now).
last summer one of our club members brought out a Byron P-51 Mustang
with the original 4 blade prop and Byro reduction drive.  Pretty cool
plane but definitely smaller that I thought it was.  Well anyway he was
having a tough time landing it but finally greased it in perfectly at a
fairly high rate of speed.  A second later on the flair and it would
have been retracts through the wings.  Anyway he asked me to look at his
radio as it had started to rain when he was flying and when he landed
the screen was blank.  The surfaces still moved but the elevator servo
was really slow.  I told him something was wrong there too but he
corrected me saying he slowed down his elevator servo on purpose for
more scale realism.    Now  I really do still think that is funny.

Stuart C.