[NSRCA-discussion] Amnesty idea

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Tue Aug 20 09:01:43 AKDT 2013

Mike,
Thanks again for the loan of a very nice airplane for the Fat Lake
Pattern Meet. Glad Russ was able to buy it, it will be a very good
airplane for him.
The contest was very well run by Bob Wilson and John Hoelscher and other
members of the Peoria R/C Modelers. I had a great time flying, meeting
new folks and hanging out at the field in Russell Shavitz' new RV parked
in the middle of all that corn.

As Scott McHarg has pointed out in this thread and we discussed during
the contest, the rule change we proposed last year addressed the problem
of being able to move down a class at the end of the year. Others have
pointed out that there is a mechanism for doing this now. It involves
petitioning the AMA for a change in class. There are two problems with
this system. One is that there are some who quit rather than go through
the process. Those flyers are lost to us for long periods of time and
may never return. I know about that, I was one of them for a decade.
The second issue is that the AMA VPs seldom(ever?) reject these
petitions. They do not know the flyer and his abilities, may(or may not)
do a bit of research, and then approve the petition. If they are always
approved, what is the function of this process? Why should we waste the
time of the DVP? Leave it up to the competitor to recognize that a move
back one class would be good for him. Peer pressure will take care of
abusers - as it does now, not the AMA.
John