[NSRCA-discussion] Amnesty idea

Ryan Smith smaragdz at comcast.net
Mon Aug 19 11:22:21 AKDT 2013

I think a corollary of the proposed advancement rules would somewhat allow
this, however I'm not sure that I agree with it. Under what grounds would
you make the argument that you're "not ready for that class"? Because you
don't go out and win? At that point it becomes more of a trophy hunt rather
than a legitimate outlet for advancing one's skills. You may be perfectly
capable of flying in a given class, but if you get pissed off that the top
five in the class at the contest you chose to fly are Nats finalists and
move down because the field is too hard, then you are defeating the purpose.
Flying well and winning are two (maybe not quite mutually) exclusive things.
You can fly Masters well, but if Frack decides to fly Masters one weekend,
and the 2013 D7 Nats Masters group decides to fly at that same contest, you
are going to have your work cut out for you. You could fly your butt off and
fly well, but your chances of winning or even placing in the top three are
going to be difficult at best.