[NSRCA-discussion] Bifocals

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Tue Apr 2 21:04:18 AKDT 2013

I've been using prescription bifocals for a number of years now. I never
could adjust to the no line types under any circumstances so I just use the
kind with the line. For a while, I used prescription sunglasses for distance
only while flying and found it was too much hassle in the typical local
contest environment where you're calling as much as flying. Invariably, I'd
forget to change glasses and have to run back to get the bifocals when
calling for someone. Long story short, I use prescription bifocal
sunglasses.

I've been having trouble the last few years getting a pair that would
maintain their focus all the way up to the top of the lens and have resorted
to wearing clip-ons with my normal everyday bifocals which works okay. I was
still working with my optometrist at the end of last season on getting the
prescription sunglasses to work okay and ran out of good flying weather.
That quest will continue shortly. I'm coming to the conclusion that
polarized lenses don't work so well if you have an astigmatism. One thing
I've learned is that high index plastic lenses help to keep the lenses
reasonably thin if you need heavy magnification up close.

Verne