[NSRCA-discussion] Food For Thought - Pattern and Gyros

Ron Hansen rcpilot at wowway.com
Sat Sep 15 02:57:12 AKDT 2012

At last weekend's contest I asked several pretty experienced judges whether
a gyro that told a pilot whether his wings were level and/or his nose was
pitching down was legal in pattern.  I know the rules say gyros that
automatically adjust for pitch and yaw are illegal.  I also believe any
other device that tells the pilot the orientation of the plane so that the
pilot can manually adjust is also not in the spirit of the sport.

I got some interesting responses.

In my opinion this type of feedback has been technically feasible for many
years.  It may not have been through direct communication between the
receiver and the transmitter but it was certainly doable through a tone in
an ear piece or similar feedback mechanism.  I'm surprised the rules never
anticipated this.  Why did we have to wait for telemetry capable radios?

database 7481 (20120915) __________

http://www.eset.com