[NSRCA-discussion] Generators again

HankPajari at aol.com HankPajari at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 12:01:21 AKDT 2012

Hi, lurker here pattern wannabe

I know there were a few threads in the last couple of years discussing
generators.  I did a search on the website and only came up with a couple  of
hits on generators and none on Harbor Freight.

If memory serves, the discussions centered around upper end  generators.
At this time I cannot justify spending a grand or two for  something that is
probably massive overkill.

I mainly fly sport.  Eventually I want to get into pattern.  My  biggest LI
PO pack right now is a 4S1P.

At my age, once I get into pattern my destination would be Masters and not
crashing.  I have no belief that I will be competitive at other than local
contests.

I use Hyperion 606i chargers, one AC/DC and one DC only.  When I get  into
pattern I assume that I will have to upgrade chargers to accommodate larger
packs.  I bought 3 OS 160s when I started getting serious but as time
passes and I read the posts on the discussion board I am backing off that
position and will be going electric.  (If gas was a viable option that is  the
direction I would jump at).

Getting down to business now.  Harbor Freight will be having a sale in  a
couple of weeks on a portable generator.  It's regular price  is $179.99 and
will be on sale for $79.99.  Item number 66619.   Pros and Cons are:

Pro -
Light, just under 40 lbs.
According to the reviews it is fairly quiet and reliable, after  putting a
better plug in it and going over it and tightening the screws and  bolts.
5 hour run time at half load, one gallon fuel tank so can assume 5  hour
runtime per gallon.  Probably only need 2 gallons fuel per  contest.
Looks fairly small.

Con -
Gas and Oil 2 stroke.
800 Watt, 6.6 Amp rated.
One 120v outlet.
Recoil start.

Would some of you that really know something about this please review the
above and give me your comments?

Thanks

Hank