[NSRCA-discussion] hi

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Fri May 25 16:32:08 AKDT 2012

yep.  And everyone that clicked on the link from their browser on a PC got
hacked the same way.  This relies on a technique called cross-site
scripting to grab the credentials needed to login to your web mail, it then
goes through the address book and mails everyone you correspond with,
relying on the personal relationship to spread the worm.

IF you clicked on it, do the following:
0.  Change your e-mail password immediately
1.  Scan for viruses & other malware on your system using antivirus
software you trust
2.  Consider checking for web-specific malware with software like Ad-aware
from Lavasoft
3.  Check into whether your e-mail provider offers "3rd factor
authentication" this usually means that when you login they'll send you a
verification code via SMS to your cell phone or similar physical mechanisms
that are hard to steal in cyberspace to complete your login after you've
put in your username and password.  It can also be identification of a
picture that is yours from a random selection of pictures, etc.  2-factor
auth is just not good enough for e-mail these days.  G-mail is free and
offers 3 factor authentication.  Yes, it can be a hassle, but if it helps
to avoid nonsense like this, it's worth it.

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training