[NSRCA-discussion] 8- cells?

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:51:49 AKDT 2012

I'm not sure why you would want to go to 8s.  Ultimately it takes a certain
amount of power (W) to accomplish a series of maneuvers and that takes a
certain amount of time (W-hours).

Watts = amps * volts
resistance increases with the square of the current (amps)

If you reduce volts by 20% you increase current by 20% to achieve the same
power, that means you increase resistance (and therefore loss of
efficiency) by 40+%,
that resistance loss turns into heat, in general as electronic things heat
up they get less efficient as well.

For any given airframe, etc. if I determine I don't need 20% of the power I
have on board, I'd much rather reduce amp hours available than reduce
voltage, keep the system running cooler and probably save just as much
weight by reducing cell capacity as I would by reducing the # of cells for
a given capacity.  Checking...

Zippy Compact 8S 5000   (25C) 1030g (2x4S), 905g (8S brick) You probably
would want to move to 35C which looks like it would weigh more...
Zippy Compact 10S 4000 (25C) 1013g (2x5S), 908g (10s brick)

So pretty much a wash as far as weight goes -- why not stay with the higher
voltage, higher efficiency setup?

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training