[NSRCA-discussion] Future of Pattern

Murray Johnson murrjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 10:10:27 AKDT 2012

This is a super interesting thread.

I agree with a lot of what is being said here. Another slant to look at is
maybe the demographics of pattern. I will agree that the age of initial
participation seems to be in the mid 40's. Could this be because that right
now it is the end of the "Baby Boomer" cycle. All of us in it right now are
of that era. It would be interesting to compare the numbers of pattern
competitors in different age groups to general population numbers.

I will bet dollars to doughnuts that every one of us has had some form of
competition in our past. In my past I have participated in two
physical/relatively dangerous sports that my body (I'm now 57) will not
tolerate but the mind still craves.The drive of a competitive individual is
always there, the choice of endeavor may change. Imho, exposure is the key
to better numbers of participants. I ran a local one day pattern clinic
last June after an interesting thread on RCU and had 8 fliers from our club
of 50 participate. Not one of them has gone to a contest yet but two of
them bought Osiris's and are very happy with them. For some unknown reason
in the last year our club numbers have grown to 80 and I am already getting
asked by a lot of the newer members if I plan to run the clinic again and
the answer is yes. This kind of exposure at the grassroots level is
essential to "hook" the competitors that have out grown ground contact
competition. It takes a bit of effort for there has to be a pattern
"sparkplug" in each club but it is well worth it imho.

Just my 2 bits worth.

Cheers

Murray Johnson