[NSRCA-discussion] Future of Pattern

Michael S. Harrison drmikedds at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 04:22:20 AKDT 2012

well said and written John.  i agree.

mike

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of John Konneker
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 4:26 AM
To: Discussion List
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Future of Pattern

John,
Thank you for the thoughtful post.
JLK

  _____

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:38:25 -0600
From: jgghome at comcast.net
To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] Future of Pattern

Apparently we can discuss the pros and cons of a new weight rule til hell
freezes over without anyone changing their mind. I would like to share with
you how I converted from from a no weight change advocate to someone pushing
for an increase. I have always felt that most of the past increases in cost
were due to rule changes on noise, on turnaround, on engine sizes, for some
examples. While this is a factor, there are others at work. Inflation and
improved quality of the equipment are also major factors. I'm also not
convinced that it really costs that much more in terms of percentage of your
takehome income to compete than it did in the old days. However there is a
large increase in other activities, both in the hobby and without, competing
for your dollars. Another point is that all those potentially expensive rule
changes were initiated by the FAI and incorporated by the AMA. So I came to
the conclusion that we could make adjustments to AMA rules without upsetting
the apple cart.

The main reason for change is that the status quo is not working. Pattern
has changed from the central focus of many clubs and many flyers to being a
small niche in both clubs and the marketplace. It used to be that club sport
flyers that never attended a contest still built and flew simply constructed
Balsa or balsa and foam pattern planes. This is gone. Even considering the
modern equivalents of these planes such as the Excelleron and others, most
are now out of production and not being replaced by new kits/ARFs. Just ask
any manufacturer about the importance of pattern in their marketing plans.
Ask Jon Bruml who sells ads in the K-Factor. I'm not privy to the figures
but I suspect even the topline radios that we consider ours, sell better for
IMAC, Helis and jets. Time was, your club members were interested in your
new radio/model/motor/engine. Now they just say "smooth flying model" and
ask about the weather.

The point is that we are now a bit player and in all probability will never
occupy center stage again. See a lot of action in the modeling press about
last years WC? Get real. Nobody else cares and we are all getting older and
slower, dying off one by one and being replaced by only a few and most of
those are in their forties. See the graph below? It shows a slow decline in
membership dues and it gets worse the further back you go. While the NSRCA
membership decline is not conclusive proof that pattern is declining in this
country, I am convinced that they are related. What I see in contest
attendance in the west is a steady decline over the last couple of decades
and is a confirmation of the NSRCA numbers.

So what should the NSRCA and the pattern community do? Maintain the status
quo?  I believe I've made a case that it's not working. Can we do something
to get back on center stage? Very unlikely. Can we do something to move from
a dying niche in the hobby to a growing niche?  Perhaps.
As a first step the NSRCA board has made rules proposals with the intent of
increasing safety and making it easier/cheaper to participate. Will these
rule changes have the desired effect? I believe so but they are not a
complete answer by any means. We need more participation and more ideas not
more accusations about our "hidden agendas" and "flawed surveys". Apparently
we've gored a few oxen in our proposals. I suggest everyone back off a bit
and support the only group that is trying to move forward. I understand that
there may be unwanted consequences along with the wanted ones. I doubt it
but even so rules can be rolled back in two years.

There are a lot of very smart people out there on this list involved in
precision aerobatics and we really need to be putting our heads together for
ideas on how to grow. Right now it looks like we only know how to tear each
other down. There has been a lot of emotion out there on these rules
proposals, lets apply it in a more positive direction. I urge everyone to
support these proposals now and to stay engaged with us on what to do next.
The NSRCA is always open to ideas.

John Gayer

list NSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.org