[NSRCA-discussion] Weight Rule and Rules Proposals

Phil S. chuenkan at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 10:57:21 AKDT 2012

Well-written, Georgie!  We in SPA have been discussing "legal" vs
"illegal" ariframes for the past /n/ years.  As many of you will
remember, we in SPA received criticism for not adhering strictly to the
"build to plans rule".  I have come to the same conclusion about that
issue as you have about the weight issue in AMA pattern -- the major
determinant in winning or placing is PRACTICE.  A pilot needs to get to
know his airplane, with all it's idiosyncrasies, as well as his/her own
flying peculiarities, so that the only surprises in the air are whatever
the Wind Gods choose to give us.

My wife is a (retired) pianist.  I remember her playing the same bar or
two of music over and over and OVER to get evreything just perfect, then
going back and putting that phrase into context with the whole piece,
again, over and over.  My flying improved (it really had nowhere else to
go [ ;-{) ]) when I applied that technique to flying pattern.  The big
caveat that my late flying partner Ed Hartley and I realized:  practice
must be done in front of a JUDGE, and requires a critique right after
the flight, to gain the most improvement.

--
Phil Spelt, KCRC President
AMA 1294 Scientific Leader Member