[NSRCA-discussion] Rules Proposals

Ron Hansen rcpilot at wowway.com
Sun Mar 11 09:27:36 AKDT 2012

Why are folks buying top of the line 2m planes and then replacing the wings with built up wings.  I know they snap better but that is not the only reason they are also trying to make weight.

Sure eliminating the weight limit could cause a shift where everyone will fly bi-planes but I doubt it, only the real diehards will do that because they are just a pain in the ass.

Sure some will try to put even larger electric motors, glow motors or even gas motors in their 2 meters.  But eventually we will get to the point where the wing loading will get too large and the planes won’t fly well.  Also we will get to the point where the planes will have too much power for what we are asking them to do.

One should be able to build a legal 2m airplane in his basement using normal not exotic building techniques and put whatever equipment in it he wants as long as it is less than 2 m.  Not everyone should have to have foam cutting equipment and vacuum bagging equipment to make a plane make weight.  Nor should everyone have to learn the skills necessary to make these balsa/fiberglass composite fuses that are so popular today but the average pattern competitor can’t replicate in his basement.

If you are willing to quit this sport because of one or two rule changes then you really don’t love the sport.  Every sport changes rules from time to time to keep up with the times.  Baseball may introduce the designated hitter in the national league.  Baseball changed the height of the pitcher’s mound.  Football placed restrictions on hitting wide receivers.  NASCAR changes the rules almost every year.  You get the picture.

I’ve heard people say lots of people quit when turnaround was introduced.  I think we can all agree that revolutionized the sport.

Ron Hansen