[NSRCA-discussion] Fwd: Anotherdiscussion topic relatingto new FAIrules

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 31 17:14:09 AKST 2012

The way I look at it is, the old AMA style pattern consisted of flying a
series of individual maneuvers. Turnaround requires us to fly a completely
defined flight plan which is 100% judged from box entry to box exit. Even a
short entry level sequence of 3 or 4 maneuvers can be overwhelming at first
for a new pattern competitor requiring a fair amount of preparation to keep
it all together, even on a calm day. Having progressed to expert prior to
turnaround with a little IMAC experience I had already flown the maneuvers
allowing me to focus more on positioning and wind correction. I'm happy to
have entered pattern when I did and thrive on a challenge that I'll never
master. Yes pattern competition does make us better RC pilots.
Jim