[NSRCA-discussion] FAI A-12 local advanced sequence

Dave Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 17:02:57 AKST 2012

Vicente,

I actually spent some time with F3A Chairman Michael Ramel at the WC, and he showed me drafts of the “A” schedules.  My understanding from the conversation with him was that the FAI “A” schedules are intended to be “relaxed” versions of the P schedules with the intended benefits of being similar to judge and fly, and of course provide a stepping stone to FAI.  Michael was well aware of the stepping stone classes in the US and other countries and was not expecting the “A” schedules to be universally adopted and used in all countries.  Certainly he is hoping to see the “A” schedules used by pilots training for P/F, and in countries that do not have stepping stone classes.

You may recall in the US in 1990-1, we had the Expert Turnaround class, which was intended to be (and was) a temporary class designed to promote turnaround style and provide a less challenging maneuver schedule.  It worked quite well (as a transition), and turnaround schedules gradually followed in the rest of the AMA classes.

I’d suggest, respectfully, that the US pattern classes evolved about 20 years in advance of the FAI “A” schedules…not that the US is better, just more able to support the stepping stone ideal…..largely due to the factors that Jerry Budd pointed out.

As  it happens, the progression difficulty of classes (as I see it ) would be AMA Advanced, FAI A, AMA Masters, and then FAI “P/F”.  I’d suggest we don’t have room/participation to support more than the current 5 classes, and the stepping stone intervals would be upset IF FAI A were substituted for any of the AMA classes.  I’d certainly not favor making changes to AMA Masters…..as it is very successful at the current difficulty level, and many of the Masters pilots have no desire to fly FAI (whether P, or P and F).  I’d further suggest that the skill set learned/honed in AMA Masters better prepares a pilot for FAI P/F than FAI A.  I certainly agree that exposure to the FAI A would increase familiarity and have benefits for judging FAI P….but….so long as FAI is flown at local contests, the exposure is there.

Regards,

Dave