[NSRCA-discussion] Arming Switch

Rick Sweeney bacabbey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 07:04:55 AKST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Scott McHarg <scmcharg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would definitely like to point out that Peter's examples are exactly why
> the proposed rule was written.  We aren't as concerned about when the pilot
> has control of the aircraft in the ready box or on the flight line but what
> happens after the flight when the pilot is distracted by the judges wanting
> to talk or a fellow competitor asks how you did.  The pilot is no where
> around the plane and the caller has control of the aircraft.  Some of us
> have dedicated callers and know the airplane as well as you know your own.
> Most folks run around trying to find someone to call for their next
> flight.  When this is the case, rarely will that individual stand there
> with their hands on your plane waiting for you to come over and disarm it
> nor will they reach inside your plane to disconnect your batteries for fear
> of doing it wrong or causing damage.  When the pilot is distracted and not
> fully paying attention to their aircraft is when something tends to go
> wrong.
>
> Y'all know the saying, "It's not me I'm worried about, it's the other
> people"?  This easily applies to the "other people" around you at every
> competition.  There's enough nerves going on at a competition to rattle
> anyone.  We all make mistakes.  We are trying to find a way to prevent one
> that could really do some damage to human lives.
>

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Peter Vogel <vogel.peter at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> From the accidents I've seen or heard of, the issue is not a failure
>> before takeoff, but rather a failure after landing (ESC already armed) or a
>> pilot mishap that results in an unintentional bump of the throttle lever
>> (neck strap, coat, etc)
>>
>> Peter+
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone4S
>>
>> On Feb 13, 2012, at 7:18 AM, Bob Richards <bob at toprudder.com> wrote:
>>
>> Keith,
>>
>> My gut instinct is to agree with you on this, but I have to wonder what
>> is the possibility that there would be a failure mode where the controller
>> could go full throttle without an input from the receiver. For the
>> brushless controllers, the micro in the controller must be working properly
>> for the motor to run - period - since it has to sense the feedback from the
>> motor and operate the outputs in proper phase for the motor to run at all
>> (this would be a different discussion if we were talking about *brushed*
>> controllers). The more likely failure would be that it applies power to one
>> or more motor wires - not pulsed - that would do little more than heat up
>> the motor and burn a winding, but not turn the motor over.
>>
>> Is it possible for the micro think there is a full-throttle input when
>> there isn't? Most controllers that I know of will not arm if it powers up
>> with anything other than a low-throttle signal from the receiver. It has to
>> sense a low-throttle signal that then transitions to something else before
> [...]

I use the Power Unlimited arming switch from F3A Unlimited...

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_62&products_id=420

You need to make sure it snaps into place or its going to fall out in
flight, but I have never had an issue with it.

I also have a throttle to throttle mix assigned to a switch that
deactivates the throttle stick. So my routine is to check my kill switch,
make sure the trim slider is all the way down. Turn on the radio, turn the
receiver on and plug in the arming switch. Once I land, I deactivate the
throttle stick, make sure the trim is all the way back, pull the arming
switch out, turn off the receiver, then the Tx.