[NSRCA-discussion] Arming Switch

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Feb 13 06:18:47 AKST 2012

Keith,

My gut instinct is to agree with you on this, but I have to wonder what is the possibility that there would be a failure mode where the controller could go full throttle without an input from the receiver. For the brushless controllers, the micro in the controller must be working properly for the motor to run - period - since it has to sense the feedback from the motor and operate the outputs in proper phase for the motor to run at all (this would be a different discussion if we were talking about *brushed* controllers). The more likely failure would be that it applies power to one or more motor wires - not pulsed - that would do little more than heat up the motor and burn a winding, but not turn the motor over.

Is it possible for the micro think there is a full-throttle input when there isn't? Most controllers that I know of will not arm if it powers up with anything other than a low-throttle signal from the receiver. It has to sense a low-throttle signal that then transitions to something else before it starts the motor turning. Is this a possible failure mode for an ESC - I don't know since I don't know any specifics of the circuitry or firmware programming of ESCs, but I seriously doubt this can happen and if it can, the likelyhood would be extremely low.

Of course, not having the battery connected to anything is safe. Safer yet is to just stay at home, but we have to decide what is an acceptable risk.

Bob R.