[NSRCA-discussion] Fwd: Contest board - Was Executive Board voting

Bill's Email silentav8r at cox.net
Thu Dec 13 10:12:43 AKST 2012

So an arming plug becomes the last resort safety device.
It is not needed if the failsafe is set up correctly AND the pilot does
not turn off the TX.
It is not needed if the ESC operates correctly (kills with no signal or
no power) AND the TX OR RX is not shut off before disconnecting the battery.
It is not needed if a motor kill (zero throttle curve, etc.) is
programmed and used upon landing

So then if none of the above corrective actions fail, THEN the arming
plug will work, but ONLY if the guy who forgot or failed to do all of
the above also remembers to pull the plug. Yes, I know, others can see
the plug, but if the administrative control of requiring proper failsafe
and ESC operation is required and enforced, then that eliminates almost
entirely the potential for an accident of this type.

Which brings up the question of just how common this type of incident
actually is. Given the number of practice and contest flights in a given
year just how often does this type of thing happen??

Bill