[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Throttle Curve - was Going Electric - Battery Questions

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:08:44 AKST 2012

It's a good theory, but no, the motor/ESC definitely matter (ESC probably
more than the motor) I have two identical planes with a Hacker Q60 except
one is using a Castle HV80 speed control and the other is using an OS
1100HV, the OS is not very responsive under 20% throttle but then ramps
nicely and what "feels" close to linear with my throttle curve putting the
1/2 stick position at about 55% output, the Castle is more responsive under
20% but 1/2 throttle is closer to 70% output, I put a small "flat" at half
throttle in all my curves to make it easier to hit my level cruise power
and then ramp from there.  So on the Castle I have a pretty steep ramp from
0 to about 65%, then the flat, and a linear ramp up to 100% output.  On the
castle there's an initial steep ramp to get the motor spinning, but then a
much shallower climb to 1/2 stick 55% output, the flat, and then a linear
climb to 100% output at 100% stick.

Both ESC's were programmed according to the mfg instructions for fixed
endpoint configuration.

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training