[NSRCA-discussion] Serious Torque on the Nose of the Model - RESUBMITTED

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Dec 4 04:35:21 AKST 2012

Agree on the need for a rear brace.  I flew one for a period with only a loose rear brace (tube through the bearing into a cross brace, but just loose fit) and on 2 occasions had the motor get into a harmonic vibration that blew out that rear brace.  The awful noise allowed me to throttle down and land before the whole motor dislodged.  The first time I figured the motor wasn't tight.  The second time I realized no amount of "tight" was going to stop it if the back can move and is unsupported.  Once I put a tight, secure rear brace on, it's been problem free.

Sorry to hear about your situation.  Glad you were able to recover the plane though.

-Mark
Mark Atwood
Paragon Consulting, Inc.  |  President
5885 Landerbrook Drive Suite 130, Cleveland Ohio, 44124
Phone: 440.684.3101 x102  |  Fax: 440.684.3102
mark.atwood at paragon-inc.com<mailto:mark.atwood at paragon-inc.com>  |  www.paragon-inc.com<http://www.paragon-inc.com/>