[NSRCA-discussion] Hacker C50-14XL comp/Castle 80HV Ice 2 combo "backfiring"

Michael Cohen precisionaero at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 19 12:48:18 AKDT 2012

I had a strange problem today with a Hacker C50-14XL comp/Castle 80HV Ice 2 combo.  Sounded like the motor/ESC was backfiring, so I stopped flying.  I had 56 flights before today, and this is the first time I noticed the backfiring.  I was at a contest last weekend, so if it had occurred there, I think people, including me, would have noticed.
Well, upon taking it home and hooking it up to the computer, I did find that all my settings were still where they were supposed to be, so there was no unexplained change there.  I downloaded the data logger, but I really didn’t check it too closely.  I then went online to look for backfiring problems and the only thing I found was a sample rate of 10hz (mine was at 1hz) could cause a backfire.  I also noted a comment that if you run out of data logging space, that could cause a “ticking”.  I did not have a ticking, but I decided to clear all stored logging information and set the sampling rate to "disabled".  I ran the motor/ESC for about a minute on the ground with no evidence of a backfire.  Could the data logging/storage space been it?  Has anyone else had a similar experience?  FYI, here is my program:

Brake Strength: 30%
Brake Delay: No delay
Brake Ramp: Medium
Cutoff Voltage: 3.2