[NSRCA-discussion] Rules change proposals

Scott McHarg scmcharg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:21:27 AKDT 2012

Hi Jim,
   There are differences here.  Neither the Contra Drive nor aerodynamic
appendages have the ability to accept variables and change their nature
according to those variables that are input.  They are quite static in
relation to what is going on around them.  In other words, they act the
same regardless of the situation.  It's important to remember the scope of
the rule and not look at an example of the rule expressly although the
example can still be defended easily.  We are simply speaking of telemetry
here.  We are concerned with input received by the transmitter (the cpu of
the radio system) from the aircraft and the radio system being able to
process that information and send back automatic commands to the aircraft
that affect flight.  The "do not allow" items (at least the majority of
them including #9) are in the existing rule 4.4: Equipment Functions.  All
we are doing is asking the AMA Contest Board to allow us voltage, current
and temperature, etc to be allowed per the rule to be received by the
transmitter in the name of safety.  We are still not sending any commands
back to the aircraft due to this information.  In this case, safety applies
to not crashing your bird due to something that, with a little notice and
information, could be prevented by an early landing and dismissal of the
remaining portion of the flight.

Best regards,
Scott

--