[NSRCA-discussion] No telemetry rule & new radio systems

John Ferrell jferrell13 at triad.rr.com
Fri Nov 25 07:38:39 AKST 2011

On 11/25/2011 9:55 AM, Michael S. Harrison wrote:

> I agree with what you are saying and that is how we currently do and
> perceive the plane.  However, this is a chance to embrace technology
> to make judging fairer and easier reducing the bias, subjectivity and
> emotion the judge is burdened with.  The new technology, applied
> properly would make the administration and work of putting on a
> contest much easier.  How we see and perceive the airplane would
> change to adapt to this new stuff and we could fly accordingly.  We
> would have to adapt the rules to fit, of course, but it is doab le.  I
> would love to see it.  I would love to know the truth about box
> violations, drifting, altitude changes, whatever, etc.
>
> I think it would be a game changer and it would bring out the best/.
>
> That is just me.
>
> Mike

I have been out of Precision Aerobatics for quite a while now. Even when
I was an eager enthusiast, I never developed the skills to be a
successful competitor.
It was never about winning or losing for me. No one ever enjoyed the
game more than I.

Is the information provided by the new equipment really a problem?  If
it is available to all is it really a problem?

As I recall, there was a period where the TOC permitted the use of
gyros. I think the idea was to provide a better show through the use of
available technology. It did not take long for the top contestants to
abandon their use. In addition to reduced reliability it was soon
discovered that the best pilots preferred total control to limited
control. When the rule was made to outlaw the gyros, no one cared
because no one was using them anyway.  The point: is this new equipment
really a problem?

If the telemetry provides a higher degree of safety to person and/or
property it is hard to justify not allowing it.

An onboard device that limits operation of the craft beyond the
specified flight area could become a requirement in the near future.
Think about it!

I have always felt that a constant speed controller for IC engines
should be available to the fuel burners. Current rules simply prohibit
it....

Back to lurking mode....

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
"The man who complains about the way the