[NSRCA-discussion] bullets

verne at twmi.rr.com verne at twmi.rr.com
Wed Mar 30 10:22:10 AKDT 2011

The final straw for me on the Deans Ultra's was when a leaf spring blew off from the arc one time when I was connecting a battery. It was dangerously close to shorting out on the other contact. You've never seen a wire cut off a connector that fast!

Verne

---- ehaury <ejhaury at comcast.net> wrote:

=============
Let's leave the DWT alone!

I'll chime in with a different perspective on connectors though. As
mentioned, there can be a good deal of variance with bullets. Providing good
tension isn't easy and maintaining it over repeated use is even more
difficult. Some designs work better than others and folks experiencing good
service have done their homework. Bullets are also easy to solder to heavy
gauge leads.

OTOH - I've very good service from the Deans Ultra. The attractive part of
the design (to me) is that they're simply buss bars held together with
spring tension. The surface area of the bars is way more than we need for
contact and the thickness is plenty for handling the amps. They do get a
little nasty looking on the ends - but I haven't found that to significantly
reduce contact area or function. In cutting the "female" side apart after
1000+ flights I found no degradation of anything except the entrance end
where the arc occurs, the wear pattern demonstrated full contact. They are
more difficult to solder leads to and can easily be ruined in the process.
If the plastic is melted allowing the bar to become misaligned, full contact
will not be achieved.

Also , either connecter will benefit from an occasional cleaning with a good
contact cleaner.

Great to have choices!

Earl