[NSRCA-discussion] NATS 2012

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Dec 13 06:49:00 AKST 2011

John Fuqua and I tried to change the weight rule to keep glow-powered
airplanes without fuel at 5000 grams and change the battery-powered
airplanes with batteries to 5500 grams.  It went over like a lead
balloon with the Contest Board.

On average, a 5000 gram glow-powered airplane can weight more than
5500 grams at takeoff and land at just above 5000 grams (spare
fuel).  If a battery-powered airplane takes off at 5000 grams, it
will land at 5000 grams.

I don't understand the resistance to changing the weight rule for
battery-powered airplanes if the size limit is the same.

Ron Van Putte