[NSRCA-discussion] NATS 2012

Ronald Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Dec 12 09:53:04 AKST 2011

All I can say about weighing every airplane at processing and maybe after every flight is:  good luck.

John Fuqua and I did all the weighing at the at the F3A WC last year.  There were 82 contestants and many had two airplanes.  We weighed every one of them at processing.  That's a lot of weighing.  Then, we weighed every electric-powered airplane after every flight.  In addition, we weighed the glow-powered airplanes whose owners were unlucky to pull the "wrong" ball after each flight.  We worked from the prelims through the finals and neither of us want to do it again.

We were particularly unhappy that a weight tolerance was given, even though we provided accurate scales and calibration weights with certification papers.  What was done appeared to be counter to F3A rules.  I understand why a weight tolerance will be given to Intermediate pilots, but hope the the 5000 gram limit will apply to all the rest of the competitors.

Ron Van Putte