[NSRCA-discussion] Quick question re: cellular data service at the fields where you compete

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 23:05:21 AKST 2011

I've been thinking about a "better way" to get scores into a system like
PACSS, given the general ubiquity of smart phones and the overall tech
savvy among the pattern crowd, I believe it should be possible for a judge
or scribe to very quickly enter scores for each maneuver into an iOS or
Android phone or tablet communicating via the cellular data network
(typical data is so small as to be VERY lightweight on data usage, so even
Edge data services would be quick enough to record scores) the interface
would be designed for very fast entry of a score (two taps per maneuver
scored) with the interface optimized for the screen size of phone or
tablet.

Here in California, I have yet to visit a field where I didn't have 3G data
service, but I realize California can be an outlier in such matters.

So, of the fields where you have competed in the last year, how many had 3G
data service?  Edge? and No Data service?

How many of you have a smart phone and/or tablet?

Thanks!
Peter+

--
Did you know? Arthritis affects people in all age groups including nearly
300,000 children.