[NSRCA-discussion] Contest Results

ehaury ejhaury at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 06:29:17 AKDT 2011

When I bought my Honda (for RC) my wife thought it great that I bought a gen for hurricane season. Hmmm.

Even a 2kW Honda will power a lot in a home if connected properly. A 12 ga. extension cord isn't going to get it! NEVER connect a gen to house wiring without a disconnect that prevents feeding power back into the grid! Be sure not to run afoul of local codes.

To cover that I installed a ProTran power side transfer panel.  http://www.steadypower.com/catalog/rc_intro.php     These things connect between the individual home circuit breakers and the loads. They're prewired and are available with different numbers of circuits. Simply, they have a switch for each circuit that allows connection to the normal supply line (breaker), off, or connected to the gen via a breaker equipped circuit in the panel (and disconnected from the grid). There's also a meter to monitor power consumption levels. The next step is connection to the gen, hard wired or extensions cord arrangements are available for the panel. The trick is to use heavy enough wire to handle the load for the distance involved with minimal voltage drop. I opted for an 8 ga. extension cord. In operation you fire up the gen & switch the connected home circuits to the gen at the panel.

Pretty amazing what that little Honda will handle. Continuous use of fridge, ceiling fans, lights, TV, & computers is no problem. Need to switch off everything but fridge / fans to use microwave / garage door opener. All this for about a gallon of gas every 8-10 hrs. Of course you can forget about anything requiring 220v - central air / electric range / etc. (A 110v window AC unit for the bedroom is a wise investment.)

The only issue I observed is that the gens run fairly rich A/F for best power and this produces a lot of carbon monoxide. The gen must be located so that the exhaust gases don't enter the house (a CO detector is advisable), and the gen will then likely be exposed to rain - not good. Some sort of "dog house" to protect it from rain and yet allow cooling / exhaust egress is necessary.

Of course it's best to have this all in place before needed.

Earl