[NSRCA-discussion] Contest Results

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Aug 30 06:03:37 AKDT 2011

Oh, gosh, I really don't want to be drawn into the "generator wars". :-)  I'm not trying to convert anyone from/to any brand, just mentioning my experience.

There are contractor grade generators (like my Tecumseh powered 5000w) that can wake the dead. Then there are the Honda inverter models that are extremely quiet. There is a wide gap between the two that a LOT of generators fit between.

I have a Champion 3500w generator that is very easy to start and resonably quiet. Most people that I have shown it to are surprised how quiet it is. I bought it for camping, it will run the air conditioner on my camper, and will run for 8-10 hrs on one tank. Heavy, though, at 100 lbs. The nice thing is they can be purchased for $300 (or sometimes less on sale). Mine is a 120v only version that came with a 30A RV style receptacle so all 3500w is available on one connector (not the case on most generators) and it also came with a wheel kit. Bought mine at Lowes. If you buy from there and are a vet, ask for the military discount.

Champion 3500w

I also caught a sale at Tractor Supply on a small 1500w (2000w surge) Sportsman generator, $150 (normally $200). I keep it in my airplane trailer just for charging at events. Also not loud, very light.

Sportsman Gen

Yeah, I would like to have a Honda or Yammy, but what I have fits my needs and cost a lot less. And, BTW, I used both of the above during my hurricane power outage to run my freezer, fridge, lights, computer, charge phones, DSL modem, and a portable air conditioner.

Bob R.