[NSRCA-discussion] Brushless Motor Tester

Ronald Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 06:58:39 AKDT 2011

While at the F3A WC/Nats, I was talking to someone (can't remember
who), about a brushless motor tester.  By hooking up this tester to
all three leads of the motor, you can test the motor for proper
functioning.

This has become an issue when several pilots had speed controllers
burn up when the battery was hooked up to or disconnected from the
speed controller.  When the flaw is present and the motor is put in
one or more "sensitive" orientations, the speed controller burns up.
This happened to one of the Norwegian competitors on the first day of
the Prelims and we watched helplessly as the nose of his airplane
caught fire.

Strangely, if the motor isn't stopped in one of these "sensitive"
orientations, it appears to function normally.  An unnamed pilot, who
rode to the F3A WC/Nats with me, burned up three speed controllers in
the last few weeks before the Nats, before replacing the motor in his
Black Magic with another motor from the same manufacturer.

Can anyone identify the source of a brushless motor tester which is
available for our brushless motors?

Ron Van Putte